Sunday, April 3, 2011

Budweiser, Viagra and folding towels

I'm not sure I have anything really useful to say, but I think usefulness can be overrated. A few friends of mine recently, and independently of each other, asked why I wasn't blogging any more.

There's a certain point at which I wonder whether anybody -- other than myself, of course -- really is interested in what I might be musing about, but since there have been a few queries, I thought, why not. I'm thinking these things, anyway, and, although I certainly can't type them as fast as I can think them, it seems they may amuse, entertain, or at least distract a few people. Which is no worse than most cable TV shows, so here we go.

I'm sitting here watching the Cardinal ballgame while waiting for my food to digest, after which I can go out and take a hike -- it's beautiful outside today - or I can go to the community center and get on the elliptical machine, on which I can actually digitally and numerically track the progress of my workout....but I think fresh air is going to win out. Anyway, the TV commercial is about Budweiser, and you really don't have to convince me of the value of Budweiser, I really only just need a reminder that it is out there. I don't usually drink a Budweiser, but last night they were passing 'em out for free at the trivia night fundraiser for several of the sports at Webster Groves High School. Miriam is playing three sports, including soccer this spring, so Deb and I dutifully went to the event. Our team finished 5th out of about 24 teams, and we were adequately stocked with food and drink, so I didn't get around to drinking the free brew until after we finished our bottle of wine. Part of me hates to see free beer go undrunk, which is a good reason for me not to be eating at the all-you-can-eat buffets, because it always seemed like a waste not to eat as much of the food as possible. This, of course, comes from a mindset that sees the world as having limited resources, and, therefore, I must get as much of them as possible. When, in fact, our faith and religion calls for us to see the resources of God as coming to us with unlimited grace. It's a tough transition of thought, for sure.

Next commerical break has arrived, and now it's about Viagra. I'm not even going to go there, because, thank God, I don't need to go there....yet. Although I always sorta raise my eyebrows when they talk about getting an erection that lasts longer than 4 hours. I can't figure how you can keep one when you're done with it, but I guess that's something I can perhaps anticipate if ever have need of this wonder drug.

These are the musings of a 53-year-old on a Sunday afternoon while watching sports on TV. You've been warned.

Time to fold some towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment