Part of me wishes I could say that I invented something like the lightbulb, or discovered a cure for cancer, or wrote a great book or song, or even led a community in some great cause. And I suppose I have done some things along the way that I can feel good about. But I think of what the apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians, in his great discourse on love: "If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,b]" style="font-size: 0.75em; line-height: 0.5em; ">[b] but have not love, I gain nothing."
Yo, it appears the best legacy is love.
And so, as I am thinking, that of the limitless possibilities ahead of me, the ones that truly count are the limitless ways in which I can show love to those around me.
And that does not require -- nor exclude -- the writing of a book, the leadership of a cause, the attainment of some great goal.
A legacy of love can be found in the daily acts of service and listening to those around me -- or in the great projects to which I still might aspire.
It's Sunday, folks. These are weekend thoughts, preparation for the week ahead.
And now, it's time to make some popcorn and watch the Academy Awards show! Gimme some love, baby...gimme some love!
Great stuff, Michael. Of all the stuff I do, at the office, in my volunteer stuff, it's the legacy of love stuff that really matters. Once upon a time I had ambitions of writing a book, producing a movie or being part of something big. But now I realize how blessed I am in the little things I can do for the people I love. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteMike, I propose that you have done much more than simply write a book or invent something useful or lead a community effort. Your essence has been compressed, strained and poured out into the young people who have grown up in your house. Have you(I include your bride in the "you") raised them to reach their potential? Have you assisted them in creating a firm foundation for their faith? Will they be able to contribute to society? Will they pass on the values you gave them to their children?
ReplyDeleteLove given to us, passed on to others, grows.